Clueless to 100K—Phoebe Cornog and Roxy PrimaFeb 12, 2022
Since 2013, Typism has run an in-person conference that brings together typographers and letter-lovers from all over the world. Then COVID arrived and put an end to the party (for now), so we thought it was time to reshare some of our favourite talks from Typism Conferences gone by to try and fill the void.
Phoebe Cornog and Roxy Prima are mural artists and ex-podcasters based in San Diego, otherwise known as Pandr Design Co, or as we like to call them, the Drunk on Lettering Girls. They have since retired their boozy podcast to focus on educating artists about getting paid fairly, all things girl-boss, and freelance entrepreneurship. They have also painted murals all over the world and they spoke at Typism in 2017 about all of these things and more.
In their Typism talk, "Clueless to 100K" Phoebe and Roxy share their secrets about how you can make fun and at the same time make money.
They also reveal that social media is great when used proactively. This is where you can attract your clients and show off your work on social media.
They also use their Instagram as a platform to share their views and opinions about the industry which helps establish their authority in the space. Head over to their Instagram and enjoy their venting and life lessons.
The key message from this talk is to enjoy your creative freelance work and always remember that passion can make money. They discuss the pros and cons of freelancing and argue that freelancing is an adventurous pursuit and gives you time to do what you love.
Phoebe and Roxy also have the unusual circumstance of working together as a duo. They talk about how this process evolved and advocate for collaborating with other people as it gives you ideas for your passion and can boost your business. Having someone to bounce ideas and problems off can also help relieve stress.
If you're interested in murals, then there is a lot of valuable information in the talk, but they also dive deep into dealing with clients, pricing your work, having those hard conversations with clients and developing a money plan and business strategy.
Here is a list of tips and advice from their Typism talk
- Study the business world, read business books, listen to creative business podcasts and try to find a coach or mentor.
- Goal setting is an essential part of any business. It helps to think about what you're going to do to meet your monthly goal.
- Know your audience or clients that you will be targeting.
- Be authentic in your work. Understand your aesthetic and what you are known for.
- Suggest ideas to your clients that might help them in their business.
- Protect yourself against things going wrong. Make sure you have contracts in place.
- Be confident in everything and you can “Fake it 'til you make it”
- Stick to your goals and make it happen.
- You need to diversify income streams and constantly evolve your business.
There are 24 videos of Typism Talks included with the Typism Membership, as well as the Typism Skills Summit and Membership Roadmap. Click here to find out more about it.