Kate Pullen Typism Talk 2019Jan 14, 2020
Kate Pullen is a Melbourne illustrator and letterer who graced our Typism stage last year in a fabulous blue tinsel jacket and shared many musical quotes with us.
Kate’s talk was called “Why Have One Emotion When You Can Have Them All? … plus some type.” Her talk covered not only her passion for design but also got real discussing the issue of anxiety and the work-life balance we all struggle with.
Check out Kate’s full talk and some of our favourite highlights below:
- Let your work be influenced by outside sources. For example the TV shows, clothes or music you like.
- Get involved in your design community via volunteering or going to events.
- Use Instagram as a tool to receive feedback and improve.
- Understand that “every story is not linear, that success is different for everyone and doesn't happen overnight.”
- Work-life balance is important!
- This little gold nugget “no one piece or project has to say everything about you. You will grow, therefore your work will grow, and it will change and that is fine.”
- Do more passion projects! It’s a place you can create for fun and helps foster imagination and experimentation. They also help you learn the parts you love and the parts you don’t love, which is just as important.
- The big 'P' word… pricing! It’s something that comes with experience. Don’t always say no if it’s out of your budget, see if it can become a win-win for you and the client.
- Finally, Kate made a Musical Playlist on Spotify if you need to work out life through the art of song and dance!
Discover simple, actionable techniques to improve your lettering skills from the January Typism Skills Summit.
Get lifetime access to replays of 20+ lettering workshops from the recent Typism Skills Summit and download bonus gifts from the speakers worth over $300
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join our mailing list for the latest updates about Typism Summits, Books, Membership News, and the Latest Lettering Challenges.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.